What can you do with granulated sugar?
It is the sugar that is most commonly used in baking. The fine crystals in granulated sugar don't cake together, which makes it perfect for measuring, sprinkling onto food and dissolving into drinks. Granulated sugar is what I use in most of my recipes, including The Best Chocolate Cake recipe.
Can you use granulated sugar to make cakes?
Your cakes will still hold up if you use granulated sugar as both the flavour and water content are the same. Caster sugar, however, is much finer and dissolves much easier than granulated sugar which is coarser in texture.
Can you use granulated sugar instead of caster?
In most recipes you can substitute granulated sugar for caster sugar and vice versa. However, one cup of granulated sugar does not equal one cup of caster sugar. TIP: Caster sugar can be made at home by processing granulated sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.
What kind of sugar do you use for shortbread?
Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick. Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
What is the secret to good shortbread?
Shortbread has so few ingredients that you can't get away with cutting corners; good quality butter and sugar are essential, and plenty of them. Rice flour gives it that special sandy texture that sets it apart from the common biscuit, and a pinch of salt helps to balance that rich, delicious sweetness.
Can I use icing sugar instead of caster sugar for biscuits?
If your recipe calls for caster sugar and you don't have any on hand, it may be tempting to use powdered sugar as a caster sugar replacement. However, using powdered sugar instead of caster sugar could give your baked goods a thin texture that may even ruin your recipe.
Do you chill shortbread dough?
Step 3: The Secret to the Absolute Best Shortbread After shaping the cookies, don't rush to the oven! Instead, chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so (overnight is OK, too). A short stay in the fridge will firm up the cookies and solidify the butter. This will help keep them from spreading too much.
Can you put shortbread back in the oven?
Problem eight: Once cooled, if I know my biscuits are underbaked can I put them back in the oven? Jo's solution: You can. Also, if you don't eat shortbread within a few days and they go soft, you can refresh them in the oven, too.
What do sugar cookies taste like?
Butter cookies are primarily made of butter and taste like butter. Sugar cookies are much sweeter and taste like sugar.
- What do you use mustard for?
- What is the best organic oatmeal?
- What makes a red pepper a pimento?
- How do you make almond bark from scratch?
- Are cucumbers in vinegar good for you?
- What are the techniques that you need to apply in plating dishes?
- How many calories are in whole wheat pancakes?
- Is it worth it to make your own pasta sauce?
- Can I add chia seeds to my oatmeal?
- What do you use Karo syrup for?
Most popular articles
- How do you salvage runny cream cheese frosting?
- How do you make honey cereal bars?
- What is the pink drink made of?
- What ingredients are in season in winter?
- How do you store avocado cream?
- What is icing sugar made of?
- What is the drink horchata made of?
- What are the 9 steps of preparing dried beans?
- What are good weight loss sides?
- What kind of mint is in mint chocolate chip ice cream?